Revolutionary Essay

This is another History essay that I wrote. It's about the Revolution and the major events that made it happen. My teacher said that we could put it in a speech form, so that's what I did. Here it is:


Welcome. I’m giving this speech today because I am persuading you that a revolution is necessary. It’s necessary because of the Stamp Act of 1765, the Intolerable Acts of 1774, and the Battle of Lexington and Concord of 1775.

My first topic is the Stamp Act of 1765. The British Parliament passed the Stamp Act in 1765 and it created havoc among the colonists. This placed stamps on every paper item to prove that you paid your taxes; whether it was playing cards, wills, or diplomas. A local group of colonists got really angry with the British and formed together and called themselves the Sons of Liberty. The Sons of Liberty would start riots in their wake. And whenever tax collectors came around, the Sons of Liberty would go after them, tar them, feather them, and force them to drink scalding hot tea.

My second point of discussion is the Intolerable Acts of 1774. Properly known as the Quartering Act, the Act closed down the Boston Harbor and only allowed one town meeting a year. The colonists, I included, thought that the Quartering Act was very severe; hence the name ‘Intolerable’. The British King thought he was punishing us for our behavior, but truthfully, it brought us colonists together.

Finally, my final and possibly most important topic: during the year of 1775, the Battle of Lexington and Concord occurred. During that time, General Thomas Gage and his British troops marched into Lexington for a raid on weapons. A group of brave Militiamen attacked, but sadly most of them were killed; they were outnumbered. The British continued their march into Concord for more weapons. Another group of Militiamen attacked; this time the British troops were outnumbered. One, which has not been determined, fired the first shot heard around the world. The first shot that started the revolution.

So, fellow colonists. I have given you three prime and vital topics on why we should have a revolution: the Stamp Act of 1765, the Intolerable Acts of 1774, and the Battle of Lexington and Concord of 1775. Now, we have to decide. Do we want to go into a revolution? Do we want to stay the same? Do we want to declare our Independence from Britain? Remember, it’s up to us.




Comments

Anonymous said…
You know daughter, since you are always so helpful to point out my spelling blunders I thought I would return the favor. Culd is probably not the word you are looking for. If you need a dictionary, we do have one, remember? I do think that you are a fantastic writer thoug.

Popular Posts