The World of Internships

Back in the summer of 2017 my parents and I were pet-sitting a dog, and its owner, a women who is the executive director of a local non-profit that helps foster kids thought it would be a great idea for me to intern there after I graduated from college. I agreed, and in January of this year I met with her and her office assistant to get a schedule going, and to start designing for the events that they were doing.

I went in to the office every Monday for a few months but once I finished all I needed to for them, they told me I could stop coming in, and to just show up on my last day.

I designed supporting materials for one of their parties. Stuff like placards for the tables, so guests could find where their company is supposed to sit, a big poster thanking all of the donors who gifted desserts for a raffle, and little company cards that got placed in front of each dessert that let people know who donated.

I also made a few flyers. One was for a superhero themed party for little boys in foster care; if the foster parents had boys of their own, they were welcome as well. There was room for 10, and I was very happy to learn that all spots were filled! The second flyer I made was for a tea for foster moms. It is this weekend, and is being held before the actual calendar mother's day. I'll be showing up before the event starts to do some volunteer stuff, but after it's over, I won't be doing any more work for them.

I only did 3 projects my entire time there, but it felt like I was there forever because of all the work I had to do outside the office. I also learned that I need to do an internship at a place where someone will teach me as we go along. While I admire what the non-profit does, it's not a graphic design firm, and I now know that that's what I need in an internship.

Comments

Popular Posts