Summer Vacation 2016

Ever since I was very little, my parents and I would always try to take a summer family vacation to the Oregon Coast (which I've posted about before) and sometimes the Washington Coast (also posted about before), but it was still the same Pacific Ocean that stretched from Alaska down to California and over to Hawaii. Whenever we went on a long trip we had to leave our dog back home with a sitter because she just wouldn't fit in the car with everything else we had to pack.

But whenever we went to the small Bavarian town of Leavenworth, Wa, we generally tried to bring her with us because we didn't pack as much and we never were gone for more than a few nights. During the summer of 2016, we were trying to figure out what kind of trip to take because money was tight and our dog was 15 years old; that is not a good traveling age for a dog!

Leavenworth was the logical choice but we had to do it differently this time. Nellie was on a few different medications due to her age, her hip liked to give out now and then, she was mostly deaf, and her stubborn self still wanted to jump in the car, but had to be lifted in and out instead.

It was sort of a struggle, but more in the logistics department. Someone always had to stay behind with her in the hotel while the others went out and about and became tourists. It was always like that whenever we brought her to Leavenworth with us, but it was a bit more difficult that time around because of her senior doggy status. No one knew it then, but that was the last vacation that she would ever go on, but more on that later.

It was also my birthday, so my mom booked the trip so that I could turn 21 away from home and still have a fun vacation. Please enjoy these photos!

**Edit: I added a photo of the cake that my mom surprised me with! There's a Safeway outside of town and she had put the order in before we even left for the trip. It was wonderful!













Comments

Anonymous said…
Fun memories, of birthdays and old puppers.
Grumpy said…
I miss the Nellie stories. She just looks like a wonderful dog.
F.M. said…
Thank you Grumpy. She was such a good girl once she grew out of her puppy phase. I was so relieved that we were able to take her with us.

Popular Posts