I am an Introvert: Opinion Piece Part 4

Beginning Note: My pictures have minds of their own...I apologize.

According to Dictionary.com, there are nine different synonyms for the word Introvert:
• Solitary
• Egotist
• Loner
• Egoist
• Narcissist
• Wallflower
• Brooder
• Autist
• Self-Observer

I am not ashamed to say that I am an Introvert, but I can also tell you that I am not any of those synonyms. I am me. But what are Introverts really? Well this photo spamming of pictures I found on Google should clear things up:


Important rules to think of


This one just made me laugh


Apparently a shirt from American Apparel...I want it!



Cute little drawing.


This is so me!
























I really want to read this book.


Seriously though. What are Introverts? The simplest answer is that we are quiet people that think before acting and like to be alone. The truth is that each Introvert has their own idea about what makes them an Introvert and that's totally okay. There is never a correct answer to this question. But if you want a powerful message as stated by Susan Cain at a TED talk, then you need to click on this link. Do it! She also wrote the book whose jacket cover is pictured above that I'm quite interested in reading.

If you want cute little drawings showing how to interact with Introverts, then go here.

If you want myths about Introverts in general or at the workplace, I suggest you go here or here.

I know I'm an Introvert. There's no denying it. I embrace it. And so should other Introverts. And the Extroverts should embrace us too, just as we need to learn how to embrace them.

This post is to inform society that most Introverts aren't the stereotypical people that the world thinks we are. We are just the same as everyone else, we just show it in a different way. And it's not a 24/7 thing either. Introverts can go out and have some fun just as Extroverts sometimes like to stay in and relax. I've been light and airy through out this post but I seriously hope that there are readers out there that realize that Introverts are regular people who deserve to be treated with respect; we're not just some...thing that's living.

Personal facts about my Introvertness:
1) I don't really like small talk. Unless it's a quick 'hi' going down the hallway
2) I don't really like working in groups. If I'm with people I like or if they're working just as hard as me, it's okay. The minute they start bs-ing their way through, I prefer to work alone. I get more done.
3) I am quiet a lot. Not because I don't know what to say (although that is the case sometimes), it's because I just don't want to talk. Have no need for it.
4) I can be qualified as shy and sometimes I feel that it gets in the way of me doing things
5) I love to read and be outdoors; nothing is talking.
6) I don't like public speaking at all

There are honestly a bunch more that I could put down but it would be too long of a list and I don't want to bore you.

And finally, if you want to know which side of the spectrum you are, or to know more about Susan Cain and her book, click this. You'll like the URL title too.

One last note: Introverts Unite!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! You explained US quite well. I've always felt bad that you follow in my path and just called you 'shy'. But there's more to it and I'm glad that you understand it, but even better, embrace it. ~~Mom

Popular Posts